Getting Started Quickly¶
NOTE This is the original playbook. It will be deprecated on September 30, 2019. Only available version will be the dockerized version.
You can skip most of the information in this tutorial should you wish to do so and go straight ahead to install the full node.
If you haven’t already, just make sure your server matches the The Requirements.
Your server’s installation of Ubuntu or CentOS must be a clean one, i.e. no pre-installed cpanel, whcms, plesk and so on. This installer might BREAK any previously installed web-server. It is meant to be installed on a clean system!
Run the Installer!¶
For CentOS users: you may need to install
curl. You can do that by running:
sudo yum install curl -y.
For Ubuntu/Debian if
curl isi missing you can install it by running:
sudo apt-get install curl -y.
The installation command will pull a script and kick off the installation. Make sure you read the warning above!
IRI Playbook Installation Command¶
GIT_OPTIONS="-b feat/docker" bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nuriel77/iri-playbook/feat/docker/fullnode_install.sh)
Documentation for this version can be found here.
- If during the installation you are requested to reboot the node, just do so and re-run the commands above once the node is back.
- A successful installation will display some information when it is done, e.g. the URLs where you can access the graphs and IOTA Peer Manager.
By default you can access the graphs at:
and Peer Manager via:
- You can use the user
iotapmand the password you’ve configured during the installation.
- You should be redirected to a HTTPS URL (this has been added recently). This is a self-signed certificate: you will get a warning from the browser. You can add the certificate as an exception and proceed. In the ‘appendix’ chapter there’s some information how to install valid certificates (certbot).
- Please consider hardening the security of your node. Any server is a target for attacks/brute forcing. Even more so if you are going to list your node publicly. See Security Hardening.
- You can proceed to the Post Installation for additional information on managing your node.
- To configure an email for alerts see Sending Alert Notifications.
- Visit the project’s page at the IOTA Ecosystem
Checkout the new addition to the playbook: a handy tool to help manage the full node’s services:
If you lost connection to your server during the installation, don’t worry. It is running in the background because we are running it inside a “screen” session .
You can always “reattach” back that session when you re-connect to your server:
screen -r -d iota
Pressing arrow up on the keyboard will scroll up the command history you’ve been running. This saves some typing when you need to run the same command again!
Some VPS providers might be depending on Network Block Devices (for example Scaleway). If using Ubuntu, you need to configure ufw prior to running the installer. See: https://gist.github.com/georgkreimer/7a02af49604da91c5e3605b08b2872ec
Accessing Peer Manager¶
You can access the peer manager using the user ‘iotapm’ and the password you’ve configured during installation: